Calls to insurer soar as pets get sick after eating festive foods like mince pies and chocolates
It can be hard to keep pets away from our food at the best of times — but it is especially difficult at Christmas when mince pies and chocolates are flowing.
So it’s no surprise that calls to John Lewis’ Pet Insurance vet phone line soared last December when pets were left sick after inhaling festive foods.
The insurer said the number of calls to its Vetfone service rose by 30 per cent during December 2020 compared to the same period the year before.
Poisoning threat: Calls to John Lewis’ Pet Insurance vet phone line soared last December when pets were left sick after inhaling festive foods
Vomiting was the main reason for dialling in, with some 15 per cent of calls related to the matter.
The following four most common issues included: diarrhoea, issues with movement, urinary trouble and loss of appetite respectively.
One notable case was a dog who had swallowed a wooden cooking skewer, while another had consumed a chunk of a tray.
Vet experts at John Lewis warn that raisins in cakes, grapes on cheese boards and chocolate are all harmful to pets.
Jade Potter, head of John Lewis Pet Insurance, says: ‘Christmas can be hectic for even the most seasoned pet owners as they juggle hosting, cooking, eating and merriment along with their pet duties.’
The insurer also noted a particular spike in customers using the helpline between December 23 and 31.
This was attributed to an influx in cautious owners who were celebrating their first Christmas with pets they had got over lockdown.