Cameron Smith admits he would LEAVE Storm if he was in Cameron Munster's situation 

0
23


Cameron Smith admits he would LEAVE Storm if he was in Cameron Munster’s situation… as Melbourne great acknowledges Dolphins’ lucrative offer is too good to turn down

Cameron Smith admitted he ‘would be tempted’ to leave the Melbourne Storm for the Dolphins if he was in Cameron Munster’s position.

The Queensland and Australian five-eighth is under contract with the Storm until the end of next season and may have to take a massive pay cut to remain at the club he has spent his entire NRL career at. 

Munster is due to make $1.2million next season, but Fox Sports, Nine and the Sydney Morning Herald reported the Storm had tabled an offer of a new three-year deal worth $750,000.

Cameron Munster (left) is under contract with the Storm until the end of next season

Cameron Munster (left) is under contract with the Storm until the end of next season 

The Dolphins have looked to seize on the impasse, reportedly offering Munster a $1.2million deal to lure him back to Queensland and make him their marquee signing for the 2024 season. 

The NRL newcomers have hitherto missed out on a landmark recruit ahead of their debut season in 2023, but landing the 27-year-old would go some way towards softening that blow. 

The discrepancy between the two offers is such that Smith admitted he would contemplate leaving Melbourne if he was in his former teammate’s shoes.

‘If there’s a $500,000 difference, I would be tempted to go,’ the former Storm and Queensland captain told Nine’s 100% Footy.

Cameron Smith (right) admitted he would consider leaving Melbourne and coach Craig Bellamy (left) if he was in Cameron Munster's shoes

Cameron Smith (right) admitted he would consider leaving Melbourne and coach Craig Bellamy (left) if he was in Cameron Munster’s shoes

Munster and Smith lift the NRL trophy after the 2020 Grand Finals, one of the three Premierships Munster has won during eight seasons with the Storm

‘That’s the simplest way to answer that.

‘What we’re hearing is that he will be offered $750,000-$800,000 from the Storm the Melbourne Storm, and we’re hearing $1.2 million tossed out from the Dolphins.

‘That’s a fair bit of cash not to take up.’

The significance of the statement will not be lost on the Storm, coming from a man who spent his entire career at the club, winning three Grand Finals and two Dally M medals.  

Melbourne Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes

Melbourne Storm hooker Harry Grant

The Storm have invested heavily in contract extensions for halfback Jahrome Hughes and hooker Harry Grant, leaving them no room under the cap to pay Munster what he’s worth

Melbourne have invested heavily in contract extensions for halfback Jahrome Hughes and hooker Harry Grant, who have penned four-year and three-year deals respectively. 

Both players are understood to have been retained on million-dollar deals, leaving the Storm hamstrung by the NRL salary cap and unable to pay Munster what he wants. 

The offer tabled by the club has reportedly not gone down well amongst some of Craig Bellamy’s former lieutenants. 

‘I’ve actually spoken to former Storm players and others about this, and they think it’s a huge lack of respect for Munster,’ Andrew Webster of the Sydney Morning Herald said on SEN 1170 Mornings last week.  

Bellamy said he was hopeful Munster would remain with the club beyond 2023

Bellamy said he was hopeful Munster would remain with the club beyond 2023

However, New South Wales legend Andrew Johns warned Munster to choose carefully between ‘money and trophies’, before leaving the Storm, with whom he’s won three premierships. 

‘He’s got to decide what he wants to do – whether he wants to have more money and be at a club starting off, which without a doubt will struggle, or does he want to compete in semi-finals and a chance of winning premierships?,’ Johns said on Wide World of Sports’ Immortal Behaviour on Friday. 

Meanwhile, Bellamy said he did not want to get ‘bogged down’ by debating Munster’s future but insisted he and the club wanted the five-eight to remain in Melbourne.  

‘He’ll make his decision when he’s ready, hopefully it will be to stay with us,’ he said speaking after the Storm’s 30-16 win over the Raiders in Canberra on Saturday.

‘I know the club, we all really want him to stay, it’s just a matter now of him being comfortable in when he wants to make a decision.’

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here