Frank Warren has admitted Dillian Whyte’s no-show at the media workout for his showdown with Tyson Fury was ‘disappointing’, but fully expects him to turn up for the main press conference on Wednesday ahead of the April 23 fight at Wembley Stadium.
Whyte made headlines by failing to appear yet again for an event promoting the British world title clash having already missed the first official press conference at the start of last month.
Fury’s promoter Warren confirmed Whyte’s absence was due to the heavyweight fight being delayed and questioned why the Brixton star had not already flown into the UK from his training camp in the Algarve in Portugal.
Frank Warren was disappointed that Dillian Whyte did not show up for the media workout
‘That’s what we’re hearing, that he’s still on the flight,’ Warren told Sportsmail at the media workout at BoxPark Wembley.
‘Of course I would rather he would be here but what can you do. If there’s a problem with the flight then there’s a problem with the flight. Maybe he should’ve flown in yesterday.
‘I’m disappointed but he’ll be here tomorrow. He’s got his reasons – he’s offshore, he lives in Portugal. I’ve got no idea. For me, from the conversations I’ve had with Dillian and his team in the last week, I expect him to be at the press conference certainly. He has been putting out stuff on social media, he’s been involved with BT Sport.
He expects Whyte to be there for the main press conference on Wednesday ahead of the Saturday April 23 fight at Wembley Stadium
All of the fighters in action on Saturday were supposed to train in front of the media
Whyte’s fight against Fury has been mired in controversy after the former went silent amid a bitter contract dispute with the Gypsy King’s camp. After Warren won the purse bid – a record-breaking £31million – Whyte was given just a 20 per cent split of the prize pot, amounting to £8m, while Fury stands to earn a massive £23m.
Whyte’s refusal to promote the fight was firm until this weekend when he finally spoke out about his feud with Fury’s team – run by Warren’s Queensbury Promotions – saying ‘it’s not the Tyson Fury show’.
‘Everybody has been saying Tyson Fury this, Tyson Fury that,’ he told the press call. ‘This fight sold out because of me and Tyson Fury. It’s the Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte show so things need to be done correctly.’
Whyte had complained of not receiving ringside tickets for his friends and family, not being invited to last month’s press conference and not being informed of the ring size among other outstanding issues, but Warren said the two team had hashed things out over the phone.
Fury and his team were in attendance at Wembley Park even without the opponent there
Warren confirmed Whyte’s absence was due to the heavyweight fight being delayed
He admitted promoting the fight had been a ‘tough’ task but believes the gargantuan clash, which has sold out with 94,000 fans expected at Wembley Stadium this Saturday, will do the talking on its own.
‘We just got them on the phone and we worked it out, that’s what you have to do,’ he added.
‘It’s been very tough but we’ve promoted it, thankfully for Tyson we sold it out. We’ve got a crowd of 94,000 which is the biggest grossing event to ever take place at Wembley and the biggest gate for a boxing event in Europe ever. So it hasn’t affected the fight apart from the two of them bouncing off each other in the build up.’
Warren is predicting an ‘explosive’ fight and backs his prize fighter to secure a stoppage, but has warned him of the ‘huge danger’ Whyte brings and told him to be on his guard to prevent a shock upset from his opponent.
‘We just want to see the two fighters being themselves and hopefully we’ll see that tomorrow. I just want to see them get together. I think it will be an explosive fight, I really do. We know Dillian’s style, he comes to fight. There will be a lot of boxing and then it will be down to a shootout.
‘This is a big danger because these are big men. If you get caught anything can happen. A few weeks ago nobody but nobody gave Jack Catterall a chance against Josh Taylor and he [should have] won it.’
That fight between Taylor and Catterall brought huge controversy after Taylor was somehow awarded a split decision points victory over the Englishman despite Catterall knocking him down and dominating the bout.
Fury has since declared he wanted no English judges ringside for his fight against Whyte, saying he hope for ‘proper, experienced judges who will do the right thing – and he has got his wish with Guido Cavalleiri of Italy, Robert Tapper of Canada and Juan Carlos Pelayo of Mexico set to score the contest.
Warren said he ensured there would be no British judges and said he hopes there will be ‘no problems’ – though expects Fury will ensure their presence won’t be needed by getting the knockout.
‘That was me,’ he said. ‘I just want a level playing field. I don’t want any problems. I just want a good fight where everyone feels comfortable, from the fighters to the officials. I hope there won’t be problems. You see bad decisions in all sports. We don’t want that, but Tyson doesn’t think he’ll need the judges anyway.’