Manchester United stars left SHOCKED by Cristiano Ronaldo’s hotel no-show with Red Devils’ talismanic top scorer ruled OUT of clash against arch-rivals Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium with injury
- Cristiano Ronaldo is ruled out of the Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium
- United stars are understood to be shocked following the forward’s absence
- The Portuguese international, 37, failed to arrive at United’s team hotel
- Ronaldo now joins long-term absentee Edison Cavani, 35, on the treatment table
Manchester United’s stars have been left stunned after Cristiano Ronaldo failed to report to their team hotel ahead of their clash against Manchester City.
Ronaldo 37, has been ruled out of the Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday through injury.
The Portugal international was not part of the travelling party who arrived on Saturday night at The Lowry for their one-night stay.
Cristiano Ronaldo has been ruled out of the clash against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City
Interim manager Ralf Rangnick has been left with a selection headache in his forward line
According to the Sun, Ronaldo picked up a knock and opted not to travel with the rest of the squad despite it being such a high-profile match.
His decision is said to have left some of his teammates raged with many suggesting he should have formed part of the group given it is such a huge clash.
Following reports last month that Ronaldo had a dressing room rift with Mason Greenwood, the Red Devils’ talismanic top scorer opted not to travel to hotel during that period.
Edison Cavani, who has been ruled out of the match against Pep Guardiola’s side, and both Raphael Varane and Luke Shaw were also missing when the team arrived at the hotel, due to injury.
Ronaldo’s injury leaves Ralf Rangnick’s side short of options up front, with Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Jess Lingard the only experienced options available in the forward line.
United also have Swedish teenager Anthony Elanga in their ranks who can be called up on, however.
Legend Gary Neville though reckons Ronaldo’s absence is ‘not a big loss’ against Manchester City.
Ronaldo was pictured in Manchester training on Wednesday despite his suspected injury
It is not the first time the 37-year-old has failed to turn up at the team hotel ahead of a clash
‘Actually Cristiano not being in the team, I could never say it’s a positive, but actually I don’t see it as the big loss that I might do in other games’, he said on Sky Sports.
‘Because I actually think on the counter attack Manchester United need to be dangerous today, and they’re better off with Rashford up front counter attacking than they would be with Cristiano I think.’
Rangnick’s stars maybe shocked, but if they are to secure victory, they will have to do so without their star man Ronaldo.