More than 150 dogs struck ill as urgent toxin warning issued across UK beaches

0
68


Many of the dogs fell ill after walks on the beach in the Scarborough area, with local vets saying they have been “inundated” with sick dogs. In posts shared to their Facebook pages, The Best Days Out in Yorkshire and Yorkshire Coast Pet Care both expressed concerns over the recent incidents, which have been taking place across the North East. The veterinary nurse in charge of Yorkshire Coast Pet Care, Brogan Proud, said on Facebook: “I work within several practices up and down the North East coast and we have recently been inundated with dogs coming off the beaches with vomiting and diarrhoea.

“Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any correlation other than contact with the beach so maybe ensure they don’t eat anything on the beach and wash them off if they’ve been to the beach in case it is a toxin or similar.

“Personally until the local authorities have got to the bottom of it I would not recommend taking your pets on the beach for the foreseeable future.

“I have been in touch with governing bodies and they are currently looking into it.

“If your dog is showing symptoms please make the local authorities aware as well as seeking veterinary attention should your pet need it.”

Ms Proud encouraged pet owners to be “vigilant”.

She said: “I wouldn’t be surprised to see pets catching this just being near the beach ie the lines or cliffs etc, it’s hard to avoid all these places its more about being careful and vigilant with your pets.

“It’s currently unknown what it is and what is causing it – if it comes from the dogs eating stuff on the beaches or going into the water.”

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs earlier today confirmed to the Northern Echo that it is aware of the incidents, saying it is in contact with the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

Since the warnings were shared on Facebook, numerous concerned dog owners have come forward with accounts of their own pets becoming ill after walking on the beach.

Numerous reports claim more than 150 dogs have been taken ill.

READ MORE: Vet issues warning against dog boots trend as heavy snowfall forecast

Norma Dunham shared a similar experience, writing: “For days after visiting Robin Hood’s Bay and the perimeter of Whitby Abbey on New Year’s day, our dog vomited for days and just slept.

“The tide was in so we didn’t go onto the beach – lucky I guess.

“There was a lot of widely spread dog poo (lovely!) on the pavements leading up to the car park at RHB though.

Joanne Knight added: “Was in Whitby on January 2 and took our dog onto the beach about two hours after that she became unwell started vomiting and she was behaving like she was drunk like swaying it was awful.

“Rang emergency vets they said she could have eaten something off the beach. Was Awful.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here