Sport

Newcastle see game against Everton POSTPONED due to having insufficient players available

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


Newcastle’s clash with Everton is POSTPONED at the request of the Magpies with Eddie Howe’s squad decimated by Covid cases and injuries after losing star men Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin in Man United draw

  • The Premier League have postponed Newcastle’s match with Everton this week
  • Newcastle requested to postpone due to Covid cases and a mounting injury list
  • Injuries to Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin leaves Newcastle very short 


The Premier League have granted Newcastle United’s request to postpone their match against Everton due to having insufficient players available.

Eddie Howe lost star forward Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin to injury in Monday’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United and he said after the match that he feared he would not have enough senior players available to face Everton on Thursday. 

It is the sixteenth Premier League match to be postponed this season with Newcastle left short-handed by a mix of injuries and positive Covid cases in the first team squad.  

Eddie Howe and Newcastle have had their postponement request accepted by Premier League

Eddie Howe and Newcastle have had their postponement request accepted by Premier League

The Magpies saw Allan Saint-Maximin limp off injured to add to a growing injury and Covid list

The Magpies saw Allan Saint-Maximin limp off injured to add to a growing injury and Covid list 

Howe said Callum Wilson's injury is more serious, after the striker was forced off at half-time

Howe said Callum Wilson’s injury is more serious, after the striker was forced off at half-time 

In a statement Newcastle said: ‘Newcastle United’s Premier League fixture at Everton on Thursday evening has been postponed following Covid-19 cases and injuries amongst the Magpies’ first team squad. 

‘A number of players and staff members have returned positive results during routine PCR tests in recent days, while several players have suffered injuries during an extremely busy period of fixtures. 

‘Accordingly, Newcastle United lodged a formal request with the Premier League to postpone Thursday’s fixture at Goodison Park, and that has been approved by the Premier League Board. 

‘The match, which was scheduled to kick off at 7:30pm (GMT), will now be rescheduled and a new date and time will be confirmed in due course. Newcastle United would like to place on record its thanks to Everton FC and the Premier League for their co-operation and understanding. 

‘The club also wishes to offer its sincere apologies to supporters of both clubs for any inconvenience caused by these circumstances. Newcastle United will continue to follow extensive coronavirus protocols and the club is working with Public Health England North East (PHE), local health authorities and the Premier League to minimise the risk of further transmission.’  

It is a blow for Everton as they had already had their Boxing Day match shelved due to a lack of players themselves.

Rafa Benitez’s squad has been decimated by injuries and Covid and they had their bid accepted to postpone a trip to Burnley.  

Leeds against Liverpool and Wolves against Watford were also scrapped from the Boxing Day schedule following a high number of cases at Leeds and at Watford. 

Aston Villa’s planned trip to Leeds on Tuesday, December 28, was also shelved due to Covid cases in the ranks of the Yorkshire side.

Last week teams were told that if they have 13 fit players and a goalkeeper their games will go ahead – but there have been a number of cancellations in recent weeks. 

More to follow. 

Advertisement

Write A Comment