Novak Djokovic has NO right to be in Australia, claims Wimbledon quarter-finalist Marton Fucsovics… as he insists it’s unfair that the world No 1 can play at Grand Slam after the rules ‘were outlined months ago’
- Marton Fucsovics said he does not think Novak Djokovic had the right to play
- World No 38 lost to Djokovic in 2021 Wimbledon quarter-finals and Paris Masters
- He was not alone in thinking it unfair Djokovic could play at the Australian Open
Wimbledon quarter-finalist Marton Fucsovics has responded to Novak Djokovic’s vaccination exemption by saying he does not think the Serbian had the right to play in the Australian Open.
Speaking to the Hungarian outlet M4Sport, Marton Fucsovics said: ‘People’s health is paramount, and there are rules that were outlined months ago, namely that everyone should vaccinate themselves – and Djokovic didn’t.
‘From this point of view, I don’t think he would have the right to be here.’
Tennis player Marton Fucsovics (left) he does not think Novak Djokovic (right) had the right to play in the Australian Open. The Hungarian world No 38 lost to Djokovic in last year’s Wimbledon quarter-finals and in the Paris Masters in November
The Hungarian world No 38, who lost to Djokovic in last year’s Wimbledon quarter-finals and in the Paris Masters in November, also said he was not alone in thinking it unfair that Djokovic could play in the Gram Slam despite not being vaccinated.
The 29-year-old told M4Sport that news of the world No 1’s exemption had received a negative reception among many tennis players.
While it is not yet clear whether Djokovic’s visa will be cancelled a second time by Australian immigration minister Alex Hawke, questions have emerged over a declaration form the player filed to travel to Australia.
On the form, filed on January 1, Djokovic answered ‘no’ to the question: ‘Have you travelled, or will you travel, in the 14 days prior to your flight to Australia?’.
Djokovic flew to Melbourne from Spain on January 4, but had appeared in photos posted to social media by journalist Jose Morgado from Belgrade on Christmas Day.
The document was released by the Federal Circuit Court of Australia on Monday. In an affidavit Djokovic submitted to the court, he said he ‘authorised’ his agent to submit the travel declaration form.
Djokovic broke his silence over the Australian government’s first failed attempt to cancel his visa, saying he still wants to compete at the Australian Open next week
Djokovic is still in limbo as immigration minister refuses to rule out cancelling his visa – but posted this picture of himself practicing at Rod Laver area just hours after he was finally released from detention after a five-day-long ordeal
Meanwhile, Australian prime minister Scott Morrison has spoken with his Serbian counterpart about Djokovic’s situation and explained Australia’s ‘non-discriminatory border policy’.
‘The PM had a constructive call with PM Brnabic this morning on Novak Djokovic,’ a statement from the Australian Prime Minister’s Office said.
‘The PM explained our non-discriminatory border policy and its role in protecting Australia during the Covid-19 pandemic.’
‘They both agreed to stay in contact on the issue, and to further strengthening the bilateral relationship.’