Prince Harry set to MISS Prince Philip's memorial service next month as huge row continues

0
51


A Thanksgiving Service will be held at Westminster Abbey on March 29 to honour the late Prince Philip who died aged 99 last April. However, Prince Harry, 37, is not expected to be in attendance due to his ongoing legal battle with the UK Government over security measures, according to a royal source.

Last month, a legal representative for the Duke of Sussex announced that he was challenging a decision by the Home Office not to allow his family police protection when he is on British soil.

Within the statement, Harry’s lawyer claimed he “inherited a security risk at birth, for life” which necessitated the need for such security measures.

The Sussexes received taxpayer-funded police protection when they were working royals but lost this when they stepped back in March 2020.

The statement issued by Harry’s lawyer claims that while the Sussexes pay for private security in the US, the security “cannot replicate the necessary police protection needed whilst in the UK”.

The spokesperson added: “In the absence of such protection, Prince Harry and his family are unable to return to his home.”

On Friday, a court heard that Harry does not “feel safe” in Britain without police protection.

Harry’s lawyer Shaheed Fatima QC, added that he wants to come back to the UK to see family and friends and support charities, before adding: “Most of all, this is and always will be his home.”

Since moving to the US, Harry has only returned to Britain twice and never with his wife and two children in tow.

READ MORE: Calls for Princess Anne to step in after Harry and Andrew revelation

The source said: “They don’t think it’s likely he’ll come back because it would undermine his position that it’s too much of a threat.”

A no-show from Harry at such an important event, particularly one which will honour his beloved grandfather, may cause further tension on his strained relationship with his family.

The Firm’s foundations were rocked last year when Harry and Meghan sat down with Oprah Winfrey in March to make a series of bombshell claims about their time as senior royals.

During the interview, Harry said that his father Prince Charles had cut him off financially and at one point stopped taking his calls.

Harry also opened up about his fraught relationship with his older brother whom he had once been extremely close to.

The Duke of Sussex added: “I love William to bits. He’s my brother.

“We’ve been through hell together. We have a shared experience, but we were on different paths.

“The relationship is space at the moment. And time heals all things, hopefully.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here