Sport

Quinton de Kock stuns South Africa by announcing his retirement from Test cricket

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


Quinton de Kock stuns South Africa by announcing his retirement from Test cricket hours after their defeat by India as the 29-year-old says he wants to spend more time with his family

  • Quinton de Kock has quit Test cricket with his first child about to be born
  • His announcement appears to have taken South Africa by a big surprise
  • De Kock played in South Africa’s first Test against India in Centurion 


South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has retired from Test cricket in a shock move announced Thursday just a few hours after he played in the defeat to India in the first test in Centurion.

In a statement, the 29-year-old de Kock said he made his decision in order to have more time to spend with his family. De Kock and his wife Sasha are expecting their first child in the coming days.

De Kock made his test debut in 2014 and played 54 tests. South Africa lost the first test against India by 113 runs earlier Thursday to go 1-0 down in the three-test series. 

South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has retired from Test cricket

South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has retired from Test cricket

De Kock's shock announcement comes hours after he played in South Africa's loss to India

De Kock’s shock announcement comes hours after he played in South Africa’s loss to India

De Kock was already set to miss the rest of the series for the birth of his child. 

‘This is not a decision that I have come to very easily,’ de Kock said in a statement issued by CSA. ‘I have taken a lot of time to think about what my future looks like and what needs to take priority in my life now that Sasha and I are about to welcome our first child into this world and look to grow our family beyond that. 

‘My family is everything to me and I want to have the time and space to be able to be with them during this new and exciting chapter of our lives. 

‘I love Test cricket and I love representing my country and all that it comes with. I’ve enjoyed the ups and the downs, the celebrations and even the disappointments, but now I’ve found something that I love even more.

‘In life, you can buy almost everything except for time, and right now, it’s time to do right by the people that mean the most to me.

‘I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been a part of my Test cricket journey from the very beginning. To my coaches, teammates, the various management teams and my family and friends – I couldn’t have shown up as I did without your support.

‘This is not the end of my career as a Protea, I’m fully committed to white ball cricket and representing my country to the best of my ability for the foreseeable future.

‘All the best to my teammates for the remainder of this Test series against India. See you in the ODIs and T20s.’

His move seemingly took Cricket South Africa by surprise, too. Its CEO, Pholetsi Moseki, said: ‘It’s sad to lose a player of Quinton’s caliber at what we still see as the prime of his career.’ 

Earlier this year, De Kock apologised after withdrawing from South Africa’s match against the West Indies in the T20 World Cup. It came after Cricket South Africa told its players they must take a knee before the rest of their T20 World Cup matches.

Earlier this year, De Kock was involved in controversy at the T20 World Cup over taking a knee

Earlier this year, De Kock was involved in controversy at the T20 World Cup over taking a knee

De Kock said: ‘I would like to start by saying sorry to my teammates and the fans back home. I never wanted to make this a Quinton issue.’

He added that he understands ‘the importance of standing against racism’ and ‘the responsibility of us as players to set an example’.

‘If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so,’ he said.

Advertisement



Write A Comment