Woman mistakes nail glue for hay fever drops, seals eye shut


She may not achieve “Gorilla Glue girl” viral fame, but a UK mom landed in her own sticky situation when she accidentally sealed her eye shut — after mistaking fake nail adhesive for hay fever drops.

Katie Beith, 35, suffered excruciating pain when she applied the super-fast-drying glue into her right eye while watching a movie on Wednesday in her Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, home, The Sun reported.

“My eye was really itchy from hay fever so I thought I would go and put some drops in quick. I couldn’t find them in my bag,” Beith told the outlet.

Katie Beith glued her eye shut with nail glue, mistaking it for hay fever drops.
Katie Beith glued her eye shut with nail glue, mistaking it for hay fever drops.
Terry Harris/The Sun

Beith, a mother of one and stepmother of two, said that when she realized her mistake she rushed to the kitchen to rinse out her eye, which the two drops of Elegant Touch had hermetically sealed.

She then rushed to her neighbor’s home for help, bringing along her 5-year-old daughter, Pippa, and was driven to a clinic some 15 miles away, The Sun reported.

Shockingly, a patient had just sought treatment there for a similar glue mishap in an eye.

Katie Beith said that there wasn't much that her doctor could for her.
Katie Beith said that there wasn’t much that her doctor could for her.
Terry Harris/The Sun

“The doctor said in 17 years she had never seen this happen and they had someone an hour before me who did it as well,” Beith told The Sun.

“Unfortunately, they can’t do a lot, just put hot water on a cotton pad and rub it gently.
It was really painful. Last night, it did open, and when I looked there was a lump of dried glue under my eyelid,” she said.

“I had to try and work it out. Every time I looked to the right I would scratch my eye and it would be really painful,” she added. “It was very much a burning sensation.”

Katie Beith said that once she could open her eye, there was a lump of dried glue under her eyelid.
Katie Beith said that once she could open her eye, there was a lump of dried glue under her eyelid.
Terry Harris/The Sun

Beith said she never second-guessed what the bottle was because she hadn’t applied false nails for months.

“It’s just a plain white bottle. They look so similar. Because I was trying to watch this stupid TV program I missed it,” she added.

In the sticky saga involving Gorilla Glue, Louisiana mom Tessica Brown’s hair was stuck together solid for a month after she used the extra-strong glue because she ran out of her usual hair product, Got2b Glued.

After realizing what she had done, Katie Beith brought her daughter Pippa with her to a neighbor's home for help.
After realizing what she had done, Katie Beith brought her daughter Pippa with her to a neighbor’s home for help.
Terry Harris/The Sun

She has now launched her own line of hair care products to profit from the viral infamy from her incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.